Principles of photography illustrated in photos from my collection
Photographing the moon - easy if you know how
Light trails at dusk in Stockport
Capturing mood and atmosphere on holiday
Exposure compensation used in a dusk shot
Compressing the view with a zoom lens
The optimum time for a dusk city view
modern architecture from a distance
An unconventional photographic angle
Extreme perspective on modern architecture
Images combined in Photoshop
Creative possibilities of the wide angle lens
Creative use of empty space and asymmetry
Photographing architecture at night
Being in the right place at the right time
Cutting out and pasting in Photoshop
The best shutter speed for fireworks
The best shutter speed for moving vehicles
Effect of a very long time exposure
Modern architecture photography
Personalised 121 photography course Stockport Manchester Liverpool Cheshire
I offer personalised one-to-one photography courses for individuals or small groups. I provide the tuition in four-hour or full-day sessions at your home or office. If you're interested in doing a photography session with me or giving photography tuition as a birthday or Christmas present, please use the contact form or text or phone 07779 290082.
One-to-one photography tuition is the best way to learn how to get the most out of your camera quickly and to uncover the principles and techniques to achieve great photos.
If you go on a group photography course you are just one of a number of students, and the instructor needs to pitch to the average level of the group. Learning with a dedicated and enthusiastic private tutor, you will benefit from individual attention.
I have helped a large number of people at all levels to learn photography. I prefer to teach photography on a one-to-one or two-to-one basis, rather than larger groups, as I can provide very targeted and effective photography training.
Here are some of the things we can do as part of my one to one photography courses
- My 'back to basics' training in Aperture, Shutter speed and ISO. It's based on a special approach I've developed. You will receive one or more copies of my Exposure Crib Card.
- The five most important controls on your digital camera. If you know how to use these, you will be able to take any type of photo on any type of camera.
- Why manual setting is the simplest, though not necessarily the quickest mode to use!
- A run down of all the features and controls of your DSLR or compact camera including those which can be left at the default setting (most!).
- Positive feedback on your photos, highlighting what's good and what could be improved
- My unique approach to Adobe Photoshop, focusing on specific goals and developing strategies for self-help and self-learning.
- A guided outdoor photoshoot during which you take photos and I give you 'over the shoulder' feedback and tips as we proceed.
- When and when not to flash and why a flashgun can be useful.
- How to take better portraits, how to improve how people look, choose the right moment of capture, tips on achieving great lighting simply and cheaply.
- How to use studio flash or continuous lighting, with tips on how to set the camera and how to use the lights.
- A look at principles of composition and how small changes can drastically improve the effectiveness of a photo.
- Using lenses from wide angle to zoom, wide to narrow aperture, and how to get the best from anti-shake (vibration reduction) features.
- A look at the techniques of famous photographers and how you can emulate them.
- Some advice (and warnings) about building a successful freelance photography career
Just talking things through with an interested and sympathetic photography tutor can be very beneficial. The benefits can last for a very long time.
My standard rate for a four-hour photography tutoring session is £160.
In addition every student gets:
- Copies of my crib cards and handouts
- Comments, likes and links from my Facebook and Twitter accounts and my website.
A one-to-one photography training session makes a great birthday or Christmas present. I can provide a personalised letter for you to print out and give to the recipient.
Contact me now to book one-to-one photography training session. If you're buying a gift for someone, I can provide a personalised letter straight away. Just contact me and I will reply immediately or within 24 hours.
E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or text or phone 07779 290082
"It was fabulous and I really enjoyed it. I didn't think it was possible to learn so much so quickly and not only that, to feel confident with it too! You certainly have a way of demystifying techie stuff and that is so, so helpful."
Cathie Pearce, Sale
"I just wanted to say a big thank you for the sessions and feedback
that you gave to Jared, he thoroughly enjoyed his time with you and it
has given him the motivation to explore more possibilities with his
photography...... The best 21st birthday present I could have given him."
Janet Hilton-Hull, Leigh
"These four hours have been invaluable. It's been a really, really massive help."
James R. Roberts, Manchester
"Aidan's passion for photography is infectious and the lesson gave me a lot to think about, as well as plenty of tools to go on and develop my own skills."
Richard Morgan, Manchester
"Hi Aidan, just to say thank you for today's session. I had a great time and I learnt a lot. You've been an inspiration!"
Carl Mason, Liverpool
I offer photography tuition mainly in North West England: Stockport, Manchester, Liverpool, Wirral, Cheshire, Lancashire and elsewhere, please enquire.
"I can highly recommend Aidan O'Rourke as a personal tutor in photography. Having developed a passion for the camera, Aidan has helped me to understand composition, detail and light. He also greatly eased my transition from compact to DSLR allowing me to fully understand how the technical aspects work together to produce the final image. Aidan's personal one to one tutorials are delivered with patience and understanding leading to a natural progression of confidence and competence which has had a marked impact on my work. I expect to benefit from his experience for many years to come."
Linda Rimmer, photography student, Northwich
Photographer Tutor Aidan ORourke has built up a wide range of professional experience in both film and digital photography. He first became interested in photography in 1981. Since 1996 he has documented Manchester and Liverpool in photos and words. He has taken the 'now' photos for Manchester Then and Now
, Manchester United Then and Now
and Liverpool Then and Now
(Anova Books). 107 of his photos are featured in the book Rebuilding Manchester
by Euan Kellie. He wrote the Q&A pages for the first 27 issues of Digital Camera Magazine
. From July 2008 to April 2009, his gigantic Manchester Mega-Photo
was displayed in the foyer at Manchesters Urbis Museum. He is based in Stockport and covers Manchester, Liverpool and northern England.
Keywords: photography courses, photo courses, DSLR courses, photography training, photography tutoring, train in photography, digital photography training course, learn photography, photography course, study photography.