Recently I have been posting less and less frequently to this and my other site aidanorourke.com.
It’s partly because I’ve been very busy but also because after reading many articles on ‘how to blog better’ I felt extrememy discouraged and demotivated.
Many advocate careful use of keywords, writing purely to solve your audience’s problems and pain points, always keeping the scope of the blog tightly focused and most discouraging of all, posting around 2500 words at least one a week and preferably once a day.
The net result of reading these articles was complete lack of motivation on my part, and a stagnating site.
So as part of my new strategy, I intend to post updates more frequently and I am going to do it my way, keeping the following points in mind:
- The main purpose of the posts is to keep the site updated with some new content and so notify search engines the site is active, which is good for SEO.
- I also show visitors I am engaged and doing stuff, and I have a reason to highlight my posts and link to my sites from social media.
- I’m not going to worry about keywords. Over use of keywords makes text read badly and breaks the rule that you should write for people, not machines.
- I will write about whatever pleases me. If some of what I write is of interest to people then great.
- As a linguist I cannot keep to one tight subject niche as we linguists are interested in a wide range of subjects. I don’t care if this means I don’t build a band of followers interested in one narrow, tightly focused area. The range of projects and interests I have is what makes me unique and is interesting in itself.
- I am not going to write 2500 words per post. I am going to write shorter posts, with no minimum, though I’m aware that 300 words is regarded as the minimum. That shouldn’t be a problem. There will be none of the waffle or stuffing you find in many articles, just what I want to say and no more.
- I intend to use the iPhone to write and post. I will avoid complex layout and over-use of images. I won’t bother posting an image on many posts, such as this one.
- I am using video presentations as my main medium from 2018 onwards. Blog posts are primarily to support the medium.
- On aidan.co.uk I will post updates about my travels, creative projects, draw on my photo portfolio and announce new videos on my YouTube channels, and online courses.
- On my other site aidanorourke.com I will do posts on as well as in foreign languages, especially German and also in English. On the other site I may post a German language version of an article posted on this site.
- I won’t use featured images for the present and comments will remain disabled.
- This blog will be branded as AidanBlog as it’s about me and my interesting projects often using photography.
- The blog on the aidanorourke.com site will be branded as LangBlog as it is about and makes use of language.
That’s all and let’s see if I can regain some momentum and see some positive effects.