Click here to go to the www.aidan.co.uk home page
EWM Home Page | Aidan O'Rourke on Twitter and Facebook | Pinterest | Google+ | Contact

THE MANCHESTER ICE PALACE, now no more, is located on Derby Street and for many years was the centre of life in Cheetham.

The magnificent front facade was once covered in marble. The building extends to the rear, providing a huge hall for the ice rink, with a spacious first floor balcony.

It's difficult to imagine just how important this building once was. In 1911, the World Ice Skating Championships were held here.

It its declining years it was used alternately as an ice rink and as a cinema for six months of the year.

Now it's part of the Lancashire Dairies complex.

THE PHILANTHROPIC HALL is located at the top of Southall Street, next to HMP Manchester (Strangeways Prison) the outer wall of which can just be seen on the right.

Like many older buildings in Cheetham, it is now covered in signs which conceal the building's character and former use. Three stones however are visible next to the main entrance:

"This memorial stone was laid by the Right Worshipful Mayor of Salford, Alderman Frankenburg J.P. Sivan 28th 5666, 21st June 1906." Two smaller stones of the same date commemorate Myer Kersh, Chairman of the Building committee and the Revd Dr B Saloman, President of the Soup Kitchen.

Information taken from the Heritage Trail walking tour of Cheetham Hill provided by the Manchester Jewish Museum

THE PHILANTHROPIC HALL is on the left of this picture, with the grim exterior wall of Strangeways Prison (HMP Manchester), on the other side of Southall Street.

The Philanthropic Hall was founded in 1906 and provided a soup kitchen for the poor of the surrounding district. It's said that the food was distributed non-selectively, though it was set up for and entirely funded by the Jewish community.

Strangeways Prison dates from the latter part of the 19th century, its minaret-like tower is a prominent landmark. After rooftop protests in 1989, extensive renovations were carried out, including the addition of the cylindrical defense on top of the outer wall.

Southall Street extends down to Bury New Road at the bottom of the hill.

Information taken from the Heritage Trail walking tour of Cheetham Hill provided by the Manchester Jewish Museum

FASHION HOUSE BARNEYS now own this imposing building, located not far from Strangeways Prison (HMP Manchester). The water tower of the prison is visible behind and to the right of the building.

This was once a cap making factory owned by Jewish entrepreneur Jacob Doniger. He started his business in 1863, this building was opened in 1895.

The new owners have gone to considerable lengths to restore and maintain the building, even to the extent of spending several thousand pounds repairing a cast iron staircase.

As Jewish immigrants did in the 19th century, now entrepreneurs from Pakistan, India and other parts of the Subcontinent have set up business in Cheetham and many of them, like Barneys, are doing very well indeed.

Information taken from the Heritage Trail walking tour of Cheetham Hill provided by the Manchester Jewish Museum

Page 1 | Page 2 | Page 3 | EWM home page

Join Aidan on his Manchester Photo Walk.
Eyewitness in Manchester Home Page | Aidan O'Rourke on Twitter and Facebook | Contact