If you’d like to learn German language, I can help you through one-to-one or group sessions held every week or two weeks, combined with self-study.
I offer one-to-one or group sessions in Cheshire, Manchester and Liverpool. I’m based in Stockport and travel all over the North West of England. I can work with students in other locations via Skype or Facetime.
The ‘2019’ way to learn a language – Sprachen lernen im Stil von 2019
One-to-one sessions are held at your home or office or in a cafe or bar in the city. Group sessions take place in different venues including cafes or bars. I’ve discovered that today’s stylish cafe bars offer a relaxed, pleasant environment to learn and practice language over a drink and maybe food. It’s the ‘2019’ way to learn a language!
Learning a language should be fun – Sprachen lernen sollte Spaß machen!
You can learn a language by taking lessons from a teacher, but it is also essential study on your own. You simply cannot rely solely on lessons. Ideally, you need to become an independent language learner skilled in the techniques of language learning. And most of all you need to enjoy the process of language learning. Language learning should be fun!
Self-study is necessary! Selbststudium ist nötig!
That’s why my innovative language learning plans offer a combination of regular sessions with me – generally once a week or every two weeks – as well as guided self-study between sessions.
In the early stages of learning, you will use a self-study language course. I can recommend several excellent courses and I can also tell you which books and courses to avoid! Later you will use specially selected material taken from the media in writing only or audio and video.
Lots of learning materials for you – Viele Lernmaterialien für Sie!
I have also produced a large amount of my own material including conversation sheets, information sheets, grammar explanations, articles on interesting topics, all at various levels of difficulty. For each piece of material, I make a mini-podcast-style audio recording, to bring the language to life and so that you can hear and practice pronunciation. These materials are only available to my students.
Learn how to learn a language – Lernen, wie man eine Sprache lernt!
As well helping you to learn a language, using innovative approaches, I also help you to learn how to learn a language. My goal is to help you become a more effective language learner and able to work independently.
I have some very strong views on language learning and I believe many approaches used at some language schools and in some language courses are wrong. I’ve developed my own principles and they seem to work very well!
Online courses in development – Online-Kurse in Entwicklung
I am in the process of developing online video courses in German which will become commercially available. Topics include my ‘chat sheet’ course in which students will learn to chat fluently and accurately about themselves in German. I am also planning a ‘German grammar-busting’ course which explains German grammar in a new way and helps people to achieve grammar accuracy more quickly.
My individual attention – Meine individuelle Betreuung
As a student you will have free access to my materials and courses, and you will have the benefit of my individual attention, helping you and providing encouragement at every stage, face-to-face during one of our sessions, or via e-mail between sessions.
Plan for Independent Language Learning – PILL – Plan für unabhängiges Sprachen lernen
So here are the main points of my Plan for Independent Language Learning. The plan can be tailored to suit every student.
- One-to-one or group sessions held every one or two weeks.
- Sessions focus on conversation practice and on explaining things you’re not sure about.
- I keep a lesson diary for each student and class. This builds up into a valuable study and revision aid.
- Study between sessions using a self-study course, supplemented by my own learning materials.
- I will personally e-mail students between lessons to provide extra tasks, feedback and encouragement.
- I will correct your work via e-mail – if possible straight away or very soon.
- Pay as you go or pay in advance for a discount. £20 per person for a group session lasting two hours or more, £40 for a one-to-one tuition session lasting an hour or more.
About me- Über mich
- I am an enthusiastic linguist, photographer, content creator and all round creative mind!
- I’m also an experienced photographer and video maker. I use my photography and video to help people learn languages.
- My degree is in German and French from Trinity College Dublin. I graduated with a BA Joint Honours. In common with a few other universities, it’s possible to apply for the MA after three years. I was awarded the MA in 2002.
In addition, I have… – zusätzlich habe ich…
- The Post Graduate Certificate in Education for Modern Languages and English.
- Many years of experience learning and teaching Languages.
- Very high competency in German language either C1 or C2. I hope to take the Goethe Institute examinations.
- I love teaching languages, especially German. I’ve helped hundreds of students to learn and improve in their chosen language.
- Registered with language teaching agencies such as Chris Polatch, Languages for Life, Listen and Learn.
- Up-to-date DBS certificate available.
- I have taught languages in the UK as well as English abroad.
I am friendly, have a fairly good sense of humour, I love to meet new people, and I never get bored with teaching German!
I produce the video channel Explore Learn German and write a weekly newsletter about German language. These are available to anyone, not just my students.
Contact me now and let’s draw up a plan for you
The best way to contact is to e-mail info (at) aidan.co.uk or text 07779 290082. As I’m often teaching or travelling, I may not be able to answer if you try to call me. You can also use the contact form below.