Image title: Northampton Guild Hall and Council Offices Extension

Northampton Guild Hall and Council Offices Extension

Northampton Guild Hall was completed in 1864. Like other civic buildings in the UK from around this time, it is neo-Gothic in style with carvings and panels depicting scenes from the history of the town. A new extension was built in 1992, designed by local architects Stimpson, Walton and Bond.

Northampton Borough Council website

The new extension is immediately eye-catching. Its similarity to the old building is striking, but because of the careful use of materials and the simple, well-proportioned design, it neither apes nor overshadows the older building. The passageway and courtyard make the council offices and its services visible and accessible to the public. This is a superb example of how all modern extensions to older buildings could and should be built.


Northampton Guild Hall and Council Offices Extension



ID number:

Technical details:
Nikon Coolpix 990 digital camera.

Northampton, Northamptonshire, architecture, Guild Hall, town halls,

Date created:

Aidan O'RourkeAidan O'Rourke has been active in photography and online media since 1995. He has documented the development of the local area in his Eyewitness website (1997-2005) and as a contributor to books, publications and the Manchester Evening News. He runs his Eyewitness photography walks in Manchester, Liverpool and other locations. He offers one-to-one tuition in Photography and Languages. He is a high-level speaker of German and can offer photography walks and tours through the medium of German. Visit www.aidan.co.uk

Follow Aidan O'Rourke @AidanEyewitness on Twitter Link up with Aidan O'Rourke on Facebook Link up with Aidan O'Rourke on YouTube Pinterest Instagram Linked In Google Plus

Home Page | Sitemap | Contact Site design by Aidan O'Rourke ©1996 - 2018